March 15, 2017
Dear Family School Families,
Wow, we finally got the BIG one! Hopefully all extreme weather is behind us and everyone managed well!
For everyone that attended our Purim celebrations thank you! The Purim Spiel was great! And, a GIANT thank you to our B'Nai Mitzvah Class for hosting fun game booths for the carnival! Fun was had by all!
This weekend we have a guest scholar Rabbi Miriam Margles. Rabbi Miriam is a beloved member of our shul community she will be spending the weekend co-leading services and a Shabbat afternoon workshop with Rabbi Jonathan. Friday night is our first back to later time services. 7:30 pm is the start time. On Saturday, services begin at 10 am, 12-1pm is a pot luck Shabbat Lunch (bring a dairy/vegetarian dish) followed by To Be Moved and To Move: An Experiential Workshop on the Power of Prayer ending at 3:30 pm. Come, bring a friend all are welcome!
Saturday is also, our PreK-K Class from 10 am - 12 pm. Morah Wendy is looking forward to seeing everyone!
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 5pm incoming 2017-2018 B'Nai Mitzvah Class meeting with Rabbi Jonathan. A meeting to discuss dates, expectations and requirements for the B'nai Mitzvah year. Parents and students attend. Please RSVP to me.
Here is the schedule of make up days:
FAMILY SCHOOL MAKE UP DAYS
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 and,
Tuesday, June 6, 2017.
Our End of Year Shabbat will stay scheduled for Saturday, May 20, 2017 but, Family School will continue for 3 more Tuesdays. We understand scheduling is difficult and next year we will build in extra Tuesdays at the end of the year to use if needed. Hopefully we have seen the end of weather cancellations for this year!
A great way to build relationships is to share a meal together! Friendships are growing within our Family School wouldn't it be nice to cultivate these relationships out into the community?
Our congregation has a Congregational Communications Task Force. Their goal is to create community and build relationships. Currently they are working on creating a plan for In Home Shabbat Meals. They are looking for families that would like to host a Shabbat Meal in their home either on a Friday night or Saturday luncheon. It could be a pot luck or you can do the cooking. That is up to you. There is a guideline sheet to make it very manageable. There are support people to insure your success. It is a great way to meet, welcome and get to know each other in a relaxed Shabbat setting. If you are interested please let me know, or Amy Messing @ 845.684.5279.
Thank you for considering this it is a great way to connect and build community.
- Drop off and pick up is at the front door.
- All doors will be locked after Tefilah at 4:30 pm on Tuesdays.
- All families are always welcome to stay for Tefilah. It is prayer time, led by our teachers and rabbi, that takes place in the first 30 minute period of the day (4:00 – 4:30 pm on Tuesdays). It is my favorite part of our Family School: not only do you have the opportunity to pray, but you also have the opportunity to see what our children know, and to witness their thoughts and reflections on what this means to them.
- Children will not be allowed to go out to the car without an adult coming in. If your child is in a carpool, please make sure to inform our office of these arrangements and that your child(ren) know who they are leaving with.
- Please remind your child to study. 5 minutes a day is all it takes to make a huge difference. When students are prepared for their class they feel good about themselves and are ready to work. Homework insures the success of each child. Each student only has one hour per week to learn a new language in Family School. Homework will reinforce what they have covered in class. Please be part of your child's success by talking and even learning with them each week.
- We do our best to keep interruptions to a minimum. If your child needs to leave early, please let me know ahead of time and the teacher will prepare what needs to go home and we will have your child ready for pick up.
- All electronic devices need to be turned off and be out of sight.
Important Dates to Remember:
Please mark your calendars and plan on attending
Saturday, March 18, 2016: PreK-K Class 10am - 12pm.
- Tuesday, March 21, 2017: Family School 4pm - 6:30 pm grades 1-6. B'Nai Mitzvah Class, 6pm - 8pm. 5 pm meeting with incoming B'Nai Mitzvah students and families.
- Tuesday, March 28, 2017: Family School 4pm - 6:30 pm grades 1-6.
- Tuesday, April 4, 2017: Family School 4pm - 6:30 pm grades 1-6. B'Nai Mitzvah Class, 6pm - 8pm.
As always, please feel free to contact me either by phone at (845) 684-4242, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions or concerns. Confidentiality is always ensured.